Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pikey Markets & Uncle Les' Buffet Luncheon

We crawled out of bed & Mick & I, Mick & Marg hit a 'local'car-boot sale so see what we could find. The crowd was just like the pikeys in the movie "Snatch"and we were worried that we might get punched out being we were paying out so much.
I came across one stand and thought that I was looking at some sort of puppet but wasn't sure so I blurted out"How does this work?"The fat banana eating vendor holding looked at me like I was mad and said Ït is a hat". Sure enough it was a minky sort of hat (see pic) when we walked away we over heard him say Ï caynt believe she sayed that!"
The markets had all manner of completely useless shit and just when we thought we were back at Deception Bay swap meet I found a pair of perfect condition 1950s barkcloth curtains. Awesome. I paid 7 pound (about 15 dollars Australian). After about an hour we all felt like we needed a boiling hot bath in disinfectant with a wire brush. Thank goodness Mel eventually came to rescue us.


Ï áte dags I wan a cavan fa me ma"
We were than taken to Dan's Uncle Les & Aunty Eilleen's place for what turned into one of the biggest homemade buffets we have ever seen. Uncy Les is quite the cook & put on a HUGE amount of food. He was also a very very funny character. However, even though their yard was another beautiful English garden filled with beautiful flowers , it was also filled with wasps.
As the cider flowed, Mick & I became the Aussie Wasp Catching Champions. We eventually got it down to a fine art. I'm not sure if Aunty appreciated us using her fine glassware as a make shift catcher though. Dán's grandmother entertained me with her tales of the war and the amazing places she has been to & things she has done in her life. She should seriously write a book. Aunty was also very pleased to show off her vintage "Morgan" she takes out for drives.
Lovely.
We eventually all squished into the lounge and watched Mel & Dan's wedding on videos & highlights from the wedding.
We didn't get home until about midnight. Mick and I then had to pack to leave. We finally lapsed into a coma around 1am and had to be up at 5.30am. ZZzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment