Tuesday, January 3, 2017

They don't think it be like it is, but it do. - Oscar Gamble

2017




2016 was a pretty fucking stressful year for me.  

My father finally passed away after succumbing to dementia.  Dementia is a pretty fucking cruel disease.  It's like an alien from some sort of nasty B-Grade horror film.  This creature takes over the host's brain and very gradually eats them alive.  The final 2 months of my father's life was just awful to witness.  He became literally a zombie.  He was dead but his brain was still firing.
My brother and I were with him in his final hours which was a very surreal experience. Such sadness at a life lost and future experiences taken away yet at the same time such relief that it was over for him.  This, combined with the funeral made the first part of my 2016 exhausting emotionally.

Then I left my job after nearly 9 years.
This was an incredibly tough terrifying decision for me but I felt it was time.
Starting a new job in a completely different type of working environment (small business to multinational corporation) , with people you don't know and a system you have never used before was pretty traumatic for me.  It was very much a culture shock. 
I am very fortunate that the girls I work with are so incredibly patient because it was all very overwhelming. My new job is very hectic and you must have superwoman time management and organization skills to do it.  Thankfully, I do have these but it hasn't stopped me having frequent anxiety attacks and depressive episodes.



SO 2017 

NEW YEAR NEW ME?

YES

If you are friends with me on Facey-Bees you would have seen I watched a documentary called "Embrace" the other night.  I guess you might say I had an epiphany.  



Embrace uncovers why poor body image has become a global epidemic and what women everywhere can do to have a brighter future.

I am so incredibly lucky.  I am healthy. I don't have disease. I am able-bodied. I live in Australia in one of the most beautiful peaceful countries in the world. I am a good, kind, empathetic person.
I have a Pookah, an absolute corker of a husband, a loving family & fantastic friends.  
I am blessed.

So I am a size 18.  So what?!
My boobs are now longer perky and my thighs chaff. I have purple veiny things on my legs and weird skin tag thingys on my neck.  Sure I could stand to be a bit fitter but at the end of the day.... if I am healthy and not on the path to diabetes (which I'm not I've been checked) then the only person who really gives a flying shit about my tummy is ME.

So this year is all about SELF ACCEPTANCE for me.

From my teenage years I have strove to be this unattainable THING. 
To be a size 12.
Thin = happiness.
No.
Healthy = happiness.

I've found that I have started getting depressed looking at Instagram.  The pin-up/vintage girls on there always SEEM to look incredible with their perfect makeup and hair. Their amazing vintage clothes and wasp-waists. They appear to be SO self confident and so self assured. They look fantastic and they know it.   
I NEED to stop comparing myself to this false imagery.
I KNOW that these people take off their make up, brush out their hair and chuck on some tracky-daks and have insecurities just like me.  I know that they have taken 500 photos before choosing that ONE that is 'perfect'.
I never thought that aging would worry me.  I always thought I would NEVER be one of those women who gave a shit about wrinkles and veins.... but lately, to my horror, I have become one.

FUCK THAT.

I am 44 years old.  I am a size 18. I am healthy.

2017 RESOLUTIONS

Stop caring what other people think so much. 
People are wrapped up in their own worlds. Stop being so bloody hard on myself. I truly am my own worst enemy.    I constantly worry about what people think and hate the thought that someone doesn't like me or thinks I'm a fuckhead or full of myself because I post selfies.
I will be working on loving myself more.  If people don't like me that is fine and if people reckon I post too many selfies then they can just unfriend me and block me.



Move more.  
No not start some new Couch to 5k or crazy bullshit exercise routine I just KNOW I won't continue after 1 week. 
Just move. W
alk in a park. Swim in the ocean. Play Frisbee. Garden. Walk along the waterfront. 
Just move.


Do heaps of new exciting things.  
Go places I haven't been before.  Do lunch.  Ride a zip-line in the trees.  Go on water slides. Visit the Planetarium. Soak in an onsen. Challenge myself. 


Clean up our house.
De-clutter!!! I have SO much STUFF. Time to get it gone.   
Seriously, how many coffee cups do we REALLY need!!!!
Also, give our house a mini-make over this year. The old girl is starting to look a bit dowdy. 
So bit by bit. Fix up the garden. Weed down the side of the house. Repaint parts. 
A bit of a spruce up is needed.



Sew what you got.
There is a sewing challenge I've been told about that I will be doing.
The next 8 outfits you sew must come from fabric and pattern you already own.  
You can't repeat a pattern and you can't buy any new fabric. It must come from your existing stash.
You can only buy notions.  I don't know what the official hashtag of the challenge is so I've made up my own if you want to join in.
#sewwhatyougot



So there you have it.

I'm excited for what this year will have in store for me.  I'm sure whatever comes my way will be exciting and challenging.... but that's OK.

I will be making a point of blogging more this year.  
I find it very cathartic putting my thoughts onto the screen.  
I stopped blogging because, frankly I thought 'nobody gives a fuck about what you're doing Vicki. Why do you think Vicki that people give a shit about what you are dribbling on about... what's the point if nobody's reading".  



Now I will blog for me.  If nobody reads it, that is cool. 
If you do read my shit then I would love you to comment just so I know someone is there LOL


xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

20 comments:

  1. You've got at least one other person reading your blog 😄 I changed jobs after 5 years and had such a shock to the system but 5 months in and I like all the people I work with after not wanting to have to make new work buddies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwwwwww thanks for commenting Jen!!! So happy that you are loving your new job :)

      Delete
  2. I'm reading as well! Love you style, seeing projects, hearing stories from familiar old qld!, your new years 'resolutions'sound on point and you'll be much happier. Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. I've missed your blogging so much. I'm definitely someone who wants to read! We are so similar in many ways. Kindred spirits. Happy 2017 to you Vicki!
    Ps. Can you come and declutter my place next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thanks Juz!!! I am doing the Peter Walsh decluttering program (he's on Facebook) which breaks it down into 10 minutes a day chunks. oxoxoxxo

      Delete
  4. Also- I think I need to #craftwhatyougot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay positive Vick about who you are...writing is so very healing, everyone is just trying to get through the days the best they know how...some days a stone and others diamonds.....#regift#..aunty lelexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwwwww AUNTY LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Another 2017 resolution MORE COFFEE CATCH UPS WITH YOU

      Delete
  6. Happy new year you gorgeous goddess you! Always a pleasure reading your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm so happy you like my ramblings HAPPY 2017

      Delete
  7. I have you in my blog feed so I always read your posts - you are local to me (see you at QPAC next month?!), and sew stuff I like! Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm starting off 2017 feeling insecure because I'm not sure my job is stable anymore and I know my partners isn't. It looks like we will sell our house and we might make 2 moves in the next year, which freaks me out. Also cleaning up our place for open house and that photo of drowning in stuffies is exactly how I feel (7yo who is constantly falling in love with new stuffed animals and is still in love with the others she already has).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting :) Day by Day Baby Steps. I hope everything works out for you. Geez 2 moves in one year!

      Delete
  8. Good on you Vicki! Happy New Year, and I think you're absolutely gorgeous just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Janiece. Your facebook & Instagram posts make me smile so much. xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  9. I am so happy to see you back! I don't comment very often in public, but this blog post needs and deserves a public response. You go, girl, as the saying goes! I find your blog so relatable and I love that you're back and getting your self-care in groove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen Thanks you so much for such lovely comments. I really appreciate it. xoxoxoxoox

      Delete
  10. I love your blogs, you have such a great way with words, funny insightful and you are so relateable. Every time I see you have a new blog i can't wait to start reading! You are so lovely, keep being you! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Caroline I'm blushing!!!! I'm so happy my ramblings make you smile :)
      HAPPY 2017

      Delete
  11. I read your blogs all the time ... I check about once a week to see if anything has been added.... Kelli

    ReplyDelete