Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sew much Fabric Sew Little Time

In high school I got a D for Home Eck. 

I quite liked the cooking part where you got to eat the finished product like those meat balls in tomato soup and scones but I HATED sewing classes.
Mrs Hilsdon was my poor teacher. I would raise my smart-arsey eyebrow and proudly announce "When am I EVER going to sew my own clothes when I can just go to Venture or Fosseys & buy them?!"
My elastic waist band shorts made out comic print fabric always ended up with one leg longer & wider than the other and my library tote back looked like it was made by an epileptic ferret.
"Oh Vicki. One day you will wish you could sew" Mrs Hilsdon would shake her head in defeat as she handed over my sheet with a big red D on it.
"As if." I would think.



FAST FORWARD A FEW YEARS.

About 10 years ago my Mum gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. I had hinted to her that I would like to try sewing. (by hinted I mean I rang her & said that if she wanted to buy me something for Christmas I would like a sewing machine OK ).  Mummsy was very excited as she used to sew & knew the satisfaction one could get from whipping up a blouse or apron.
Christmas morning I tore off the wrapping & there it was. The Brother Star 110! With button hole features!
I was so excited about all the incredible shit I was going to make. I was going to make ALL my own clothes & make presents for people for birthdays and Christmas. I visualised my cupboard filled with incredible frocks. People would stop me in the street & ask "Where did you get that incredible frock?" I would look them in the eye & reply "Oh this? I just whipped it up this afternoon don't you know while I waited for my lemonade scones to cook".
The sky was the freaking limit!
I got back home & put the machine in its unopened box in the spare room.
And there it stayed..... unopened for the next 5 years.
Look, you can't rush these things... I was also busy getting divorced & drinking myself into a stupor.



FAST FORWARD A FEW MORE YEARS.

I am now quite addicted to sewing.  I'm not sure what it is but I find it to be like a meditation. Meditation that involves shouting Louise Hay type affirmations like "Shit! Stupid zipper" "Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrk where's my farking quick unpick". "Jesus Friggin Bobbin ran out in the middle of friggin......" etc etc.
 
BUT
 
When I have FINALLY finished a project & I put it on & it looks quite nice (just don't look at the inside or too closely to the seams) I think it myself "Hmmph Not bad Mz Vicki not bad".
Oh I could definitely use some more lessons but I find with each project I learn a bit more. 
 
SO I have decided to enter a bit of a competition. OK it's not really a COMPETITION it's more of a group project called SEW FOR VICTORY.  It is done by one of my favourite sewing blogs that I regularly stalk for inspiration & advice.
 
"LUCKY LUCILLE" http://luckylucille.com/

 
-Sew For Victory is a non-competitive sewing challenge for anyone who’s ever wanted to try sewing a 1940s style.
-You are allowed to pick your own pattern and work at your own pace, so long as your pattern is 1940s* and your project is made specifically during Sew For Victory.
-*You can use any vintage sewing pattern, reproduction sewing pattern, or modern sewing pattern that helps you recreate your 1940s look.
-*Any WWII style or post war “New Look” style is appropriate for this challenge (some late 30s or very early 50s patterns may be used so long as the overall “feel” of the project is 40s).

I'm not sure what I am going to sew yet. 
I'm super excited though....
If only Mrs Hilsdon could see me now! She would probably smirk, raise her perfectly sculptured eyebrow and say "I told you so Miss Vicki. I told you."

THESE ARE SOME OF MY THINGS I HAVE SEWED SO FAR.

HALF CIRCLE PLAID SKIRT


HALF CIRCLE FLORAL SKIRT

CUTE TIE COLLARED BLOUSE

CUTE PUFFY SLEEVED BLOUSE

1950s REPRO PATTERN BLOUSE

1950s REPRO PATTERN BLOUSE
TERRIBLE PJ PANTS

GATHERED ELASTIC WAIST BORDER PRINT SKIRT

No comments:

Post a Comment