Sunday, June 16, 2013

26. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)



I was interested in seeing this movie mainly because I have bipolar & I wanted to see how Hollywood would depict this mental illness.
Bradley Cooper plays the lead character who has bipolar and I thought he was pretty good. I particularly liked the scene where he is looking for his wedding video and I was impressed with the kind of handheld camera shaky erratic filming that is obviously trying to show you what it 'feels' like to be manic.
I'm not sure if Jennifer Lawrence's character was meant to have bipolar or not. I don't think so. I like Jennifer Lawrence but her character felt really YOUNG in this movie to me. Reminded me a bit of a young Juliette Lewis.
But the stand out character for me was Robert DeNiro as the father who has OCD. Brilliant.
All in all I thought it was a bit too SOFT and nicey nice.  I didn't think there was enough DEPRESSION. 
The first half of the movie really had me in and then the last half for me just got all chick-flick and sappy.
3 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment