Tuesday, February 26, 2013

17. Sylvia (2004)



As a person with Bipolar I'm always intrigued by movies that deal with the subject of mental illness.
I must admit that up until about two weeks ago I'd never even heard of Sylvia Plath. I was on Pinterest surfing the net for new & interesting shit when I came upon some poetry quotes.
These short poems really moved and spoke to me and I was surprised to learn that they all were written by Mz Plath.  This prompted me to investigate more about this writer which in turn lead me to this movie. 
I'm not a big Gweneth Paltrow fan but she does a great job in this film. Daniel Craig is pretty good too. It's a slow movie but if you are interested in the live of Sylvia Plath I think you will find it interesting.
I wish they would have included more of her actually poetry which is very dark and lovely.
It's sad that alot of the most incredible minds usually suffer for it. It's ironic that such a creative woman was driven mad by the demons of her mind and yet it was in this depression that her best work came about.
"I took a breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am.  I am."
3 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment