Saturday, February 16, 2013

15. Downfall (2004)



Downfall is a film about the final 10 days of the life of Adolf Hitler. The movie centres around the young lady  Traudl Junge who was his secretary. The beginning & end of the film show her 'in real life' talking about her feelings about being Hitler' personal secretary.
This is quite a long film at 2 1/2 hours but it is very intense all the way through.
I found it really really interesting.  I like to learn about events but from both sides of the fence.
Bruno Ganz who plays Hitler is fantastic as the delusional lunatic who refuses to surrender no matter who is sacrificed.
I know I've said it before but it truly astounds me that these events happened in the same era as my grandparents. Seeing the 'real'  Traudl Junge speak almost brought me to tears.
I just don't know HOW you could go on to live a normal life after living through this.  This also includes alot of the Generals that did serve time but then got out & lived until the early 2000s!
Amazing.
I REALLY enjoyed this film... A wee bit too long but very very good.
4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment