Monday, January 7, 2013

6. Melancholia (2011)



I'd read alot of really positive reviews about this film and the story seemed intriguing "Two sisters find their already strained relationship challenged as a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with the Earth."  I'm not really a big Kirsten Dunst fan but all the movie mags & sites said she is great in this film.
Adjectives I would use to describe this movie: SLOW, DEPRESSING & BEAUTIFUL.
If you want a real honest look at what real manic depression looks like then just watch this film.
As a person who has Bipolar I could very very much relate to Kirsten's character in certain parts.
I had to fast forward the beginning of the movie as the 10 minute intro, while beautifully filmed and musicall the score is wonderful, was excruitatingly long and drawn out.
Even though at numerous times through the film I wanted to turn it off, I kept reminding myself of the plot which is, as I wrote above,  "a mysterious new planet threatens to collide with the Earth."
 I just HAD to see how it was going to end.
MEH.
 This is one totally fucking boring depressing film but with a fantastic musical score.
If you didn't suffer from depression before this movie you sure will for a time after.

 
2 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment