Sunday, January 27, 2013

12. Django Unchained (2013)



I quite like Quentin Tarantino films. I LOVED "Inglorious Bastards" and "Kill Bill" so, of course I was interested to see what his new film was like.
Long.  It's Long. 165 minutes. Don't do what I did and drink a large skinny flat white while watching because my bladder was about ready to explode by the end.  I think that the incredible discomfort of my busting for a wee was very distracting. I guess it must mean that the movie was alright that I didn't want to miss any of it.
So? WAS it any good?
Christoph Waltz is fan-bloody-tastic. I love him as an actor and he is great in this movie.
But, I thought the movie was. just.... ok.
It was just too bloody long.  As I've said in previous reviews I like it when the bad guy is REALLY REALLY bad and well, I thought that Leonardo just wasn't that convincing as a bad guy. Yes his character is a total bastard but .... I don't know... Same with Samuel J Jackson whose character was more comical than repulsive.
The shoot outs are, of course, pretty bloody but I just didn't give a shit about the characters.
I was also a bit dissapointed with the soundtrack and didn't think it was up to Quentin's usual standard.
There are also a couple of scenes in it that I just don't understand what the hell Mr Tarantino was on about especially a sudden appearance by a popular Australian actor that I won't name. I didn't know what the point of his being there was.
It is quite black in its humour but I thought the film was pretty average.
Jamie Foxx was alright but not great.

I would have given it 2 stars but for Mr Waltz who really made the movie really worth watching.

3 STARS


1 comment:

  1. Agree with u Vicki. Too long, ave sound track. Chris did make the movie. Particularlly hated the ending with the female clapping her hands in glee!

    ReplyDelete